Self Cover – A publication that does not use cover stock (or any different stock than the inside pages) and only uses a single stock throughout. It is cheaper to create them this way because the cover and text all run together on the same printed sheets.

100# Gloss Text C2S (Coated Two Sides) – A common glossy paper used for printing brochures, magazines, and other marketing material. This is a thinner paper then cover weight stock which makes it easier to fold and is more manageable.

100# Gloss Cover C2S (Coated Two Sides) – A common glossy paper used for printing postcards, posters, tickets, business cards, and more. This is a thicker paper which is heavy in weight and not easy to fold. The best way to fold this type of paper is to get a score done where the fold needs to be. So be sure to include a score in your options if you wish to have them folded.

Bleeds – To run off the edges of a page, either by design or by the background color used in the design. If you have design elements that go all the way to the edges of your design your job has bleeds. If you include bleeds we will either crop them or reduce your artwork to include you bleeds in the printed product if we decide it’s best.

Bindery – A department within a printing company responsible for numbering, perforating, folding, scoring, and trimming various printing jobs. We offer many different bindery options which can be found after you select a product on the options page.

Die Cutting – To cut irregular shapes in paper using a sharp metal die. Custom dies can be ordered at your expense, but we will need a vector based outline of your pattern to produce an estimate.

Perforation – A series of small holes punched in a line through the paper to help with separation. Typically this is used to create a tear off business card or ticket stub.

Score – to crease paper so that it can be folded easily and without damage. Without a score many paper types will crack without a score. It’s recommended that you include a score for any folding cover weight orders.

Numbering – A series on numbers that are printed onto a job that counts down to zero. We cannot number on UV, so please consider that orders requiring numbering shouldn’t have UV or will need to be numbered on the back.

Postcard – Also known as flyers, handbills, rack cards, etc. – Common words to describe a 2×3.5, 2×6, 3×4, 4×6, 6×8, and many other sizes that are printed and used for many reasons. These terms all basically describe the same thing and it is personal preference as to which one is use. We refer to them as postcards on our site.

NCR Form – A multiple part form with two – five different colored sheets of the same image which is glued at the top to keep them together. When you write on the top sheet a carbonless copy is made on each sheet behind the top one. The copies can be used for a customer copy, company records, and many other reasons.

4/4 – A Symbol used to describe 4 color process printing on one side and 4 color process printing on the other side. In other words both sides are full color.

4/1 – A symbol used to describe 4 color process printing over 1 color which is usually black.

CMYK – The four colors used in 4-color process printing which are (C)Cyan, (M)Magenta, (Y)Yellow, (K)Black. Our presses here at Grove are CMYK offset presses.

RGB – The three colors which can be mixed to produce any color which are (R)Red, (G)Green, (B)Blue. Typically designs are create in RGB, but they must be converted to CMYK before we print them.

Safety Zone – The area around the perimeter of your design in which we need an 1/8 of and inch all the way around without text or pictures. When we cut down our jobs we whisker shave a hairline into the job and we do not want anything to get cut off during this process. This term is used throughout the pre-press guidelines sections.